For Families:

→ CalWORKs provides cash aid and services to eligible families that have a child(ren) in the home. 

  • Use this application to apply online 

→ Medi-Cal/Covered California: Offer free or low-cost health coverage for children and adults with limited income.

  • Apply online at
  • Or, apply by phone by calling 1 (800) 300-1506

→ CalFresh: Provides monthly food benefits to individuals and families with low-income 

  • Apply online 
  • Or, call the CalFresh Info Line at 1-877-847-3663.

→ Low-Cost Internet/Computer Access: Connects low-income families to affordable Internet options, computer access and more.

  • Find low-cost internet service in your area

→ California Healthy Families: is low cost insurance for California children and teens. It provides health, dental and vision coverage to children who do not have insurance and do not qualify for free Medi-Cal. 

  • Apply online
  • Or, call 1-800-880-5305.



→ California Healthy Families: is low cost insurance for California children and teens. It provides health, dental and vision coverage to children who do not have insurance and do not qualify for free Medi-Cal. 

  • Apply online
  • Or, call 1-800-880-5305.

→ Operation Access: Provides diagnosis, free evaluation, and surgical operations for the uninsured and low income. 

  • View participating clinics HERE 
  • Or, call (415) 733-0052 for more information. 

→ Medi-Cal/Covered California: Offer free or low-cost health coverage for children and adults with limited income and resources. 

  • You can apply online 
  • Or, apply by phone by calling 1 (800) 300-1506

Extra Help: Medicare beneficiaries can qualify for Extra Help with their Medicare prescription drug plan costs.

→ Every Woman Counts (EWC): Provides free clinical breast exams, mammograms, pelvic exams, and Pap tests to California’s underserved women.

  • Search for EWC providers using the ProviderLocator
  • Or, call 1-800-511-2300

→ Family PACT: Provides referrals to state-funded clinics for family planning services

→ Medi-Cal Access Program: Low-cost health insurance for middle-income pregnant women.

  • To apply visit CoveredCA
  • Or, call 1-800-433-2611

→ Deaf & Disabled Telecommunications Program (DDTP): Provide free relay services and phone equipment for all deaf and disabled Californians.

  • Visit DDTP 
  • Or, call 1-800-806-1191

→ The National Prescription Drug Discount Card Program: Helps people save on prescription drug bills with no cost.

  • Call 1-877-321-2625 for more information on the program as well as counties served.

→ Local Health Services/Offices: A list of local county health departments to call about no-cost and low-cost health care.

→ Su Familia: Information and referrals in Spanish to local health clinics

→ Health Consumer Alliance: Programs to help people with low incomes get the health care they need.


Food & Nutrition

→ CalFresh: Provides monthly food benefits to individuals and families with low-income 

  • Apply HERE 
  • Or, call the CalFresh Info Line 1-877-847-3663.

→ CalFresh Restaurant Meals Program: Allows CalFresh recipients who are 60 years of age or older, disabled, or homeless to use their CalFresh benefits to purchase lower cost prepared meals at approved participating restaurants in certain counties. 

→The Emergency Food Assistance Program: helps supplement the diets of low-income Americans, including elderly people, by providing them with emergency food assistance at no cost.

→Food Banks: Provide food for those in need.

→ School Breakfast Program: Assists schools and other agencies in providing nutritious breakfasts to children at reasonable prices.

→ Special Milk Program: Assists schools and other agencies in providing milk to children at reasonable prices.

Services for Seniors 65+

→Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP): Free, confidential counseling and community education for California Medicare beneficiaries.

  • To learn more visit, HERE 
  • Or, call 1-800-434-0222.

→Senior Legal Hotline: Provide services, resources, advice, and other tools that will help stop a foreclosure from occurring.

  • They can be reached at (916) 551-2145.

→Senior Community Service Employment Program: matches eligible older adults with part-time training assignments for non-profit organizations.

→ Assisted Living Waiver: provides services to facilitate the transition  from nursing facilities to a community home-like setting in a Residential Care Facility (RCF), an Adult Care Facility (ACF), or public subsidized housing. 

→ Senior Care Action Network Health Plan (SCAN): provide services for dual eligible Medicare/Medi-Cal population

Utility Assistance: 

→California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE): Provides a 30-35% discount on your utility bill and potentially a 20 percent discount on their natural gas bill. 

→The Family Electric Rate Assistance Program (FERA): Families whose household income slightly exceeds the CARE allowances will qualify to receive FERA discounts, which bills applies a 12% discount on their electricity bill. 

  • Call your electric utility if your family qualifies
  • Or, apply HERE (for PG&E customers)

→Energy Savings Assistance Program (ESA): provides no-cost weatherization services to low-income households who meet the CARE income guidelines. 

  • For more information find your utility provider HERE

→Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program: provides assistance to eligible low-income households with the goal of managing and meeting their immediate home heating and/or cooling needs. 

  • Click HERE to see what services are available under this program. 

→California LifeLine: Provides customers with a reduced rate on their monthly cell phone or home telephone bills. There is also some additional support provided for the disabled or deaf as part of LifeLine.

  • For more information, call 1-866-272-0349

Homeownership/Rental Assistance

→California Homebuyer’s Downpayment Assistance Program (CHDAP): Supports the needs of renters and homebuyers by providing financing and programs so more low to moderate income Californians have a place to call home. 

  • Check if you’re eligible HERE

→California Housing Finance Agency Hardship Line: Provide help when a borrower has missed a mortgage payment. 

  • Call 1 (800) 669-1079 for information.

→California HUD Approved Foreclosure Counseling Agencies: Below you will find a listing of agencies can provide homeowners with access to a housing or mortgage counselor who can advise them on a wide variety of free or low cost mortgage assistance programs. 

→Keep Your Home California Program: Provides aid to low to moderate income borrowers across the state who need help with paying their mortgage. 

  • For more information call (888) 954-KEEP (5337) 

→The Section 8 Program: Also known as the Housing Choice Voucher Program, this program provides financial assistance to low-income families who are unable to afford a home. 

  • To determine if you are eligible for section 8 benefits, click HERE

→ Homeownership Preservation Foundation: Free housing counseling for homeowners

  • Visit 995Hope
  • Or, call 1-888-995-4673


→ Children’s Health Insurance Program: provide no-cost or low-cost health coverage for eligible children in California. 

→ Child Care Resource & Referral Network: Helps you find child care in your area. 

→Child Health and Disability Prevention Program: Provides periodic health assessments and services to low-income children and youth.

→ Sight for Students: Vision care for low-income children with no insurance

→ California Early Start: Services for infants and toddlers at risk of disability or who have a disability. 

→California Child Care Resource & Referral Programs: Pregnant and parenting teens in the Cal-Learn program are also eligible to receive CalWORKs child care. Child care is provided for children through the age of 12, and for exceptional needs and severely disabled children up to age 21. 

→ The California Healthy Kids Resource Center: Provides access to educational resources that can be borrowed at no cost.

→ Center for Parent Information & Resources: Provide support and services to families.

→ Center for Early Literacy Learning: provide parents and teachers with simple ways to enhance daily activities and routines with literacy specific opportunities.

→ Reach Out & Read: Provide training, resources, and support to help children make reading a daily routine. 

→ Text4Baby: Makes it easy to get important information about your baby’s development, pregnancy, childcare tips, and more.

  • Women who text BABY (or BEBE for Spanish) to 511411 receive free text messages three times per week, timed to their due date or their baby’s birth date, through pregnancy and up until the baby’s first birthday.

→ Women, Infants, & Children Program: WIC helps families by providing nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and vouchers for healthy foods.

  • To apply call 1-800-472-2321 or 909-252-5170 
  • Or, visit to find a WIC local agency site near you.

Education/Employment Services

Unemployment Insurance: Pays benefits to workers who have lost their job and meet the program’s eligibility requirements

  • If you have become unemployed or partially unemployed, you may file a UI claim

→Senior Community Service Employment Program: matches eligible older adults with part-time training assignments for non-profit organizationsFor most, their SCSEP experience leads to permanent employment.

→Head Start: Provides comprehensive developmental services for low-income children from birth to entry into elementary school.

→ California State Disability Insurance: provides short-term Disability Insurance (DI) and Paid Family Leave (PFL) wage replacement benefits to eligible workers who need time off work.

→ America’s Job Center of California (AJCC): Links all of California’s state and local workforce services and resources. You can find your nearest job center, job seeker resources, information for employers, and more.

→ MyFreeTaxes: United Way is proud to offer MyFreeTaxes, a service to help families earning less than $66,000 file their federal and state taxes online free of charge. 

→ Education Resources for Spanish Speakers / Recursos en Espanol: Resources from the United States Department of Education for Spanish speakers.

Shelter Services/Housing Support

→CalWORKs Housing Support Program: Assists homeless CalWORKs families in obtaining permanent housing, and can provide temporary shelter, help with moving costs, short to medium term rental subsidies and wraparound case management.

→CalWORKs Homeless Assistance: Can provide payments for temporary shelter for up to 16 consecutive calendar days, as well as payments to secure or maintain housing, including a security deposit and last month’s rent, or up to two months of rent arrearages.

→Bringing Families Home Program: Serves homeless families involved with the child welfare system and is designed to offer housing support in order for families to successfully reunify.

→Housing and Disability Advocacy Program: Assists homeless, disabled individuals apply for disability benefit programs, while also providing housing supports. 

→Home Safe Program: Support the safety and housing stability of individuals involved in Adult Protective Services (APS) who are experiencing, or at imminent risk of experiencing, homelessness due to elder or dependent adult abuse, neglect, self-neglect, or financial exploitation.


→Take Charge America: Offer short term debt relief programs, and also longer term credit counseling as well as debt assistance to help people become self-sufficient over the long term.

  • Call 866-528-0588 for a referral to a local branch.

→American Consumer Credit Counseling: Offer a number of debt reduction programs. Credit counselors from ACCC will work one on one with clients to offer them access to numerous financial solutions. 

  • For more information call 1-800-769-3571.

→California Work Opportunity & Responsibility for Kids (CalWORKS) Child Care: Current or former CalWORKs cash aid recipients are eligible to receive assistance with paying for child care with a provider of their choice, if they are employed or participating in county approved Welfare-to-Work activities. To apply for services, contact your local county welfare department.

→Immigration Services: Offer many types of free legal services, as well as information about other services that support immigrants such as outreach, community education, and other immigration remedies. 

California Immigrant Guide: Immigrants seeking help with English language learning, workforce skill development, naturalization preparation or legal assistance, can find information on available services throughout the state at 

→Unaccompanied Undocumented Minors Legal Services: Unaccompanied minors may be eligible to obtain an immigration status including Asylum, T-Visa, U-Visa, and/or Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) via the California Department of Social Services website below. 


National Human Trafficking Resource Center Hotline 1 (888) 373-7888

Assistance Dog Special Allowance Program: Provides a monthly payment to eligible persons who use a guide, signal, or service dog to help them.

  • For more information visit the ASDA webpage 
  • Or, call (916) 657-2628